Panasonic and HATCH Presents Six Inspiring Stories to Commemorate Malaysia’s Six Decades of Independence
Capitalising on Studio8’s strong track record of creating Malaysian original content that pushed the boundaries of storytelling, HACTION! aims to inspire filmmakers to produce their unique take of Malaysia’s achievement and pride. The collaboration, featuring the new Panasonic LUMIX GH5 camera, was announced during the product launch in Malaysia earlier this year.
Mr. Hiroyuki Muto, Deputy Managing Director of Panasonic Malaysia said, “With over 40 years of local presence in Malaysia, Panasonic is committed to the development of innovative digital cameras to provide a new photo culture in the digital era. Our partnership with Media Prima is a significant platform to be part of the journey in celebrating Malaysia’s 60th National Day by helping to develop local filmmakers and content creators, providing them with the opportunity to showcase the quality of Malaysian original content, powered by LUMIX GH5”.
Through this partnership, Panasonic is confident it will help to strengthen the brand’s presence in the digital single lens mirrorless cameras (DSLM) market and appeal to the wider millennial audiences.
Ahmad Izham Omar, Chief Executive Officer of Primeworks Studios, who was one of the judges at the HACTION! screening said, “Creative content has always been a key component in building brand relevance amongst audiences, and it still plays an important role especially for today’s millennial audiences. Tapping on our country’s decades of independence and diverse culture, there are a lot of inspiring stories that can be relived through this competition”.
6 Decades, 6 Stories, 6 Filmmakers
With over 60 years of achievements, Malaysia has grown to be a worldwide example that showcases ethnic diversity, multiculturalism, and home to varied cuisines, culture and languages. To celebrate Malaysia’s 60th Independence, HACTION! brings together six Malaysian filmmakers to capture Malaysia’s best moments through the lenses of their cameras.
Mr. Muto shared, “The digital camera has revolutionized photography, making it accessible to more people and creating more talents. As the industry reinvents progressively, mirrorless cameras is now a growing trend in Malaysia, with video production gaining its popularity and the standard for cinematography is getting higher as well.”
“We saw this partnership as a good platform to nurture our local filmmakers in creating visually and engaging stories, while showcasing the capabilities of the LUMIX GH5”, added Mr Muto.
Hailing from the circles of independent production community, HACTION! shortlisted filmmakers representing different styles and genres where most of the works produced have been recognised from local and international industry leaders.
Each filmmaker were tasked to produce a maximum of 5-minutes video that highlights the beauty of Malaysia and the six decades of unity, peace and harmony. All six filmmakers were equipped with a Panasonic LUMIX GH5 for audio and visual recording, a fund of RM4,000 for production and 30-days to complete the filming and submission of their short film.
Comprising of well-known industry thought leaders, the panel of judges consist of Ahmad Izham Omar, CEO of Primeworks Studios, Mr. Hiroyuki Muto, Deputy Managing Director of Panasonic Malaysia, and Low Ngai Yuen, renowned film director and actress as the guest judge. Each short film was judged based on 70% of judges’ vote including storytelling, editing and post production, and cinematography. The remaining 30% were contributed by public voting which was opened from 1-21 August 2017.
The winning short film received a complete set of the Panasonic LUMIX GH5, accessories and cash prize of RM8,000. The HACTION! series is available for viewing on Hatch (www.youtube.com/wehatchyou) a YouTube channel under Media Prima’s Studio8 that is created to entertain and inspire the urban millennial audience.