Lazada smashes 9.9 sales record, appointment of Chief Discount Officer breaks new ground in livestream commerce
Lazada, the leading eCommerce platform in Malaysia, broke new ground in eCommerce retail during this year’s Lazada 9.9 Big Brands Sale, smashing its 2019 9.9 sales record. Its inaugural LazLive livestream program, Chief Discount Officer Show, featuring Ain Edruce, Lazada’s newly appointed Chief Discount Officer (CDO) also established a sales record by selling over 4,000 Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 in less than 8 minutes.
As the first-ever CDO and host of the Chief Discount Officer Show, Ain is tasked with participating in goods selection and bargaining to help buyers navigate through the platform, secure the best deals and promote them during the live show. The Chief Discount Officer Show recorded an astounding 580,000 views and registered more than 72,000 engagements in just three and a half hours, or a staggering 400 engagements per minute. The show on September 8 alone ended with over 97,000 product clicks. More than 100,000 masks were sold in under 8 minutes, and all products from participating brands on the show were sold out.
“The success of the Chief Discount Officer Show is truly remarkable for Lazada as well as the industry. It goes to show that Malaysians are embracing livestream commerce and livestream is becoming the mainstream. As a fixture in our Shoppertainment innovations, LazLive has become an invaluable tool for our brands and sellers, not only to engage with consumers, but also turning into a powerful avenue to drive sales during campaigns,” said Leo Chow, CEO of Lazada Malaysia.
The 9.9 Big Brands Sale kickstarted with over 99 Lazada exclusive brand deals, and the unveiling of LazMall’s new interactive features and interface to enhance its offerings for consumers with a premium shopping experience.
Other notable highlight’s from Lazada’s 9.9 Big Brands Sale include:
• Malaysians bought over 1600 kg of health supplements
• 1 ton of detergent powder sold in 21 minutes
• 9 units of Huawei Mare Pro 30 were sold every two seconds
• The Groceries category saw a 280% growth in demand during the sale compared to 2019
• Mobile and Tablets remain the top selling categories on Lazada
• Double growth recorded in Health and Beauty as well and Kitchen and Dining categories
• Top 3 LazMall brands that enjoyed the greatest uplift in sales were Haagen Dazs, O’Briens and Under Armour