Prior to launching the Cahaya Raya campaign, Shopee also conducted a pre-Raya survey from 2 to 9 April to gain a better insight of Malaysians’ shopping habits leading up to the Raya period. Up to 140,000 respondents from all over Malaysia took part in the survey.
Below are some interesting findings from the survey:
● 85% of the respondents are below the age of 35, proving that the adopters of e-commerce are generally young
● The highest number of respondents are recorded from Selangor, making up more than 20% of the total number of respondents
● East Malaysians comprise 20% of the respondents as they find online shopping more convenient and gives them access to a wider assortment of products
● 80% of respondents start making preparations for Raya from a month before Ramadan.
● Around 90% of respondents regularly shop online, at least once a month
● 95% of respondents cited price and promotions as the main reason that they prefer to shop online
● Additional pull factors that draw users to shop online include convenience, product variations and other incentives such as free shipping and zero commissions as well as platforms that offer secure payment methods - all of which are available on Shopee!
● Interestingly, the top 5 categories purchased by female respondents during this pre-Raya period include Men’s Clothing (which ranks the highest, even above Women’s Clothing and Women’s Bags & Purses), and Men’s Shoes
● On the other hand, top 5 categories purchased by male respondents are Men’s Clothing, Accessories, Men’s Shoes, Men’s Bags & Wallets and Muslim Fashion.
● More than 40% of respondents spend more than RM200 per person buying products in preparation for Hari Raya
*Please refer to the attached infographic for more details
“Our Cahaya Raya campaign was launched in response to the insights we derived from the survey. Users can shop a wide variety of over 100,000 products at up to 90% off, across popular categories including Fashion, Health & Beauty, Home & Living and many others. Also, as Hari Raya is all about celebrating at home with family and loved ones, we decided to add some cheer by giving away a ‘Rumah Impian’ (dream house) and two cars as part of this campaign. We hope to make it a dream come true for our lucky winners,” said Ian Ho, Shopee’s Regional Managing Director.
“With technology becoming an integral part of Malaysians’ lifestyles, they have shifted their shopping behaviour from offline to online. Based on VisaNet data, eCommerce spend by consumers is growing more than twice of face-to-face transactions. During this festive season, we believe in creating the best partnerships, such as Shopee, to provide benefits that are relevant for Malaysians and are committed to promoting the growth of electronic payments in Malaysia,” said Ng Kong Boon, Visa Country Manager for Malaysia.
Shopee has partnered with leading brands including Nestle, XES Shoes, honor Malaysia, Maybelline, Watsons, ASUS, Petpet, Universal Traveller and many more, to provide a series of attractive deals during the Cahaya Raya campaign peaks from 3 to 6 May and from 24 to 27 May.
Throughout the campaign, users can enjoy non-stop deals and promotions and Shocking Sale flash deals that will happen to 5 times a day. Shopee users can also stand a chance to win other prizes such as Shopee coins, vouchers, televisions, portable irons, hair-dryers and many more items that will make this Raya celebration more joyous.
For more information, visit www.shopee.com.my.
From 19 April onwards, you can take a sneak peek of the upcoming Cahaya Raya campaign here: https://shopee.com.my/m/shopee-cahaya-raya
Download the Shopee app for FREE via App Store and Google Play.